Wednesday, July 26, 2006

IGive.com
Fundraising is a big topic on the adoption boards. People have different ideas about what fundraising is. Some consider having yard sales or selling things on Ebay as fundraising. Others consider fundraising sending out letters asking for donations. I've been selling stuff on Ebay for years but I never thought of it as fundraising. I had one yard sale many years ago and swore I'd never have another - too much work, too little $$. As for writing letters and asking for money, I don't think so; unless it's to help a charity like the Walk for Cancer or the Jane Doe Walk Against Domestic Violence, it seems too much like begging to me.

On one of the many adoption groups that I belong to, someone mentioned IGive.com. It's an online shopping mall that includes major stores such as Barnes & Noble, Target.com, and Apple ITunes. I buy a lot of stuff online especially as the Christmas season gets closer (no, I haven't bought anything for Christmas yet). By shopping at the participating stores through IGive, a percentage predetermined by the store is donated to the shopper's favorite group, whether it is a known charity, your child's marching band, or, as we are doing, to help with our fees. The percentage donated is not tacked onto your purchase price. Since I buy online anyway, I figured I might as well join and get some money to help with the expenses.

If you're interested in using IGive, just go to Igive.com and join; it's free to join. If you'd like contribute your percentage to our journey, join through www.igive.com/bringingmeimeihome. If you'd like to support a favorite charity, there is a huge list available when you are on the registration page or you can add your own.

No comments: